This is a cupcake version of one of my family’s favorite cakes, the aptly named “Chocolate Cake with White Fluffy Icing”
The name says it all, really. This is a delicious chocolate cake with a whipped marshmallow-y icing on top. There is surprisingly little fat in these delicious creations– just 1/2 cup of oil for over 18 cupcakes, but there is plenty of sugar so I don’t feel comfortable calling them “healthy”. Instead, they are simply “less bad”.
The cake is moist, and has a rich chocolaty flavor. I’m pretty sure the original recipe comes from Hershey and can be found here (where you can also find the recipe for low altitude).
I’m going to post the recipe for the cake here today and the recipe for the icing tomorrow so as not to overwhelm you. This cake would also be tasty with a little whipped cream on top, chocolate buttercream, vanilla buttercream or any of your other favorite icings.
What you need:
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered cocoa
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
What to do:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixer bowl.
- Add the eggs (beaten), milk, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed (or just use a whisk) until all the lumps are incorporated.
- Stir in the boiling water and mix again until it is incorporated. You’ll have a very soupy concoction at this point– that’s what you want.
- Now pour the batter into 18 lined cupcake tins– fill about 3/4 of the way up– or, into a greased and floured 13″ x 9″ x 2 ” pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes for cupcakes (or until a toothpick comes out clean) or 35-40 minutes for a cake.
- Allow to cool before frosting.