- ¼ C vegetable oil or melted butter
- 2/3 C. sugar (you can use white or brown)
- 1 egg 3 large mashed over-ripe bananas
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- ¾ t. salt
- 2 C. flour (I like half white and half whole wheat pastry flour)
- ¾ C. nuts –OR–
- ¾ C. strawberries or mixed berries (either fresh or thawed from frozen) –OR–
- ¾ C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
What to do:
- Mash the bananas
- Add the sugar, eggs and oil and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold until mostly incorporated.
- Depending on how crazy you want to get, add one (or more if you’re really crazy) to the batter and fold in.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured (or sugared*) loaf pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
*When I use chocolate chips, I like to grease the pan by putting some butter in the bottom of the pan and sticking it in the oven for about a minute to melt it. Then I use the melted butter to grease the pan. And, because it is so good, I then dump sugar in the pan instead of flour and toss it around to coat the bottom. This creates a nice crunchy edge for a dessert bread. That is what is creating the edge in the picture below (mmmmm):